Friday, December 8, 2006

Love and Marriage

To fulfill an abnormal friday ( no workstudy, but 2 finals, schedule turned upside down), i found these abnormal serman notes while browsing through the world wide web for something interesting to learn today. It didn't take much sifting to find the gold .. or is it fools-gold? You tell me because I have no idea; does this have any merit?

"George Orwell predicted newspeak, which today is called political correctness under a jewish communist totalitarian state called democracy. We have 'hate crime' laws which Orwell termed 'thought crimes'. Lenin and Stalin instituted 'hate crime' laws early on in the officially atheistic Soviet Union. One of the first being to outlaw any anti-jewish speech or writings, which were punishable by death. Under the 'hate crime' laws, the career politicians have legislated what is called 'hate speech'. Hate speech means anything the jews hate to hear, especially the truth about themselves. Therefore, truth is hate to those who hate the truth."-Sermon Notes of Pastor Mark Downey (http://www.kinsmanredeemer.com/WhyWeHateJews.htm)

I wish I had a stance on political correctness. I don't get gyped or jewed or have reatrd friends; my teacher isn't gay when he assigns a paper, niggers don't make me uncomterable and spics don't steal my stuff. places are sometimes ghetto, i admit, but rarley things or people. If the likes of that ol' saying and Ghandi-esque " (non)actions speak..." philosophy is true, than color me an Advocate of Political Correctness. A Fervent Advocate.

But ya see, my mind and mouth are like Compton and Beverlly Hills here. The Politically Correct Bandwagon is trying to bulldoze the freedom of expression in instances that are sterotyical, offensive or derogatory towards a certain marginalized group. And that is something I definity do not want to be a part of. Silencing people from saying offensive things doesn't instantaneously silence their offensive thoughts. The difference is, if they say it they a)acknowledge that they feel it and b) have an opportunity to hear it refuted. My man john stuart mill sums it up nicely:Either (i) the opinion is right, so that silencing it deprives society of knowing it,Or (ii) the opinion is wrong, but silencing it deprives society of seeing it refuted. So the question in my mind is still foggy: is political correctness fostering or combating negative sterotypes?

This doesn't mean I am going to start running around shouting " hey you vietnamese squinty eyed whorebag!" I don't want to offend people. Making people feel bad makes me feel bad...most of the time. It's a pretty selfish reason. I don't want to perpetuate negative sterotypes. But i feel like that should be done through the marginalized group changing their actions moreso than my changing my verbal expression. Because really, a society changing the way they talk about people and see them is just a change in discourse and rhetoric, masking the underlying issue of the stigmas attached to certain races,religions,classes, and so on. A huge part of me thinks that chaning our thoughts by the way we speak is just a quick fix, making a relasp into racism not only feasable, but probable. In my utopia, the problem would be solved by people learning to tolerate-even respect and appriciate!- other cultures...But in the end, i think Orwell was more keen to reality with his dystopia 1984. How does someone predict political correctness?It must have sounded just about as crazy as global warming. hah.

big haired

No comments: